Join performances and rollback segments...

From: Carlo Sirna <carlo.sirna_at_digisoft.it>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 12:07:54 +0200

Hi we are currently developing an application for Oracle 7.3.

I've some performance questions...

  1. How is it possible to create tablespaces on a raw device on WindowsNT?
  2. Has anyone tried to install Oracle on Linux? how much is it faster than WinNT? (a little parenthesis... an old application of ours was developed for ACCEL/UNIFY on SCO Unix. We have tried to install it on a Linux server, by installing the linux iBCS compatibility package. Well: a 120 MHz Pentium linux with a single IDE drive and 32Mb RAM was noticeabily faster than a 300 MHz PentiumPRO with 64Mb ram and a SCSI II drive.)
  3. We are currently using a single drive configuration: RollBack segments are on the same drive of the system and user segments. Now updates are terribly slow... I am waiting for at least 3 hours for the completion of an update of 130.000 records (It's in a loop which issues a "commit" every 100 records)

 A good reason for using a separate drive is the safety of the data.  Should I expect also a good speed-up? How much?

4) Let's suppose we install machines with 3 separate scsi drives.   we have the following options:

  1. use a RAID 5 controller and use them like a single drive.
  2. use them as separate hard drives: one for rollback segments, and the other two for the real data. This would let us span tablespaces on several drives and give us a better opportunity of reducing drives' heads seeks... what would you do?

have a nice day,
thank you,

Carlo Sirna
DIGISOFT s.r.l