SQL coding standard - upper/lower case! (Sophisticated TROLL!)

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 03:58:49 GMT

My SQL coding style is the opposite of the Oracle manuals, popular books, and practically every other written source. I developed it before the present SQL "standards" were established. (If you doubt this, just check out the v2 SQL or SQL*Plus manuals and the literature of their day). I have good reasons and am adamant about not changing - mine make more sense!

begin

   select NAME
     from PERSON
   where SSN = 999-99-9999;
end;
/

In most programing languages, it is common to use uppercase for reserved words. However, those reserved words appear much less frequently. In SQL or PL/SQL, using uppercase for all reserved words makes it look like one of those pyramid scheme posts!

Furthermore, the data dictionary uses uppercase as the default for case insensitive names. As a DBA, I use a lot of dynamically generated code that "naturally" contains uppercase where the style guides insist on lowercase.

On my cynical days (which is most of them), I suspect that the current convention is what it is because of one or more of the folowing:

  1. Style guide writers have to eat, too. (They may not have to code though!)
  2. Dumbing down of America. (Teach them something new???! Too confusing!)

The only reason for their choice, as far as I can tell, is to adhere to the same conventions as used in most other languages. (ACK! A "legacy system"!)

So...

Am I a hopeless eccentric? (In this too???) Or is the world headed for SQL hell with billions of lines of UPPERCASE?

Let the games begin!

-OraSarus Received on Mon Jul 13 1998 - 05:58:49 CEST

Original text of this message