Re: Replication question

From: Rebecca Riordan <rebeccar_at_magna.com.au>
Date: 1998/07/08

Brad,

The issue you're having is that those are, as far as the data engine, different records, since they have different IDs. Remember, it's the primary key that determines the uniqueness of a record, all the rest of the fields are just window-dressing.

So in architecting a replicated model, you need to always ask whether duplicates can be entered, and if so, how you're going to catch and deal with them. In the case of Branch Locations, in most cases this is a pretty stable list; I'd be tempted to pre-populate it, and then restrict who can add to the table. After all, Head Office decides to add branches, data entry operators don't. But if that's not feasible (or in other cases where it isn't) you have to rely on a primary key that has semantic meaning...branch name, perhaps, rather than using an autokey.

HTH

  • Rebecca.