Oracle SYSDATE and timezones

From: Steve Bellamy <100074.1541_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 03:46:32 -0400

I've just run into a problem with using dates in an Oracle application. I need to set a date stamp on some data and have previously used the Oracle SYSDATE function to provide such a reference. However, the application now needs to process data across several time zones. There does not seem to be any way of determining the time zone which SYSDATE uses. And the NEW_TIME function does not appear to support the necessary european time zones. This also lead me to think about how SYSDATE is determined. When the Unix server moves from GMT to British Summer Time and back, does SYSDATE also move back or forward by 1 hour? The application uses PL/SQL, so I can not easily use Unix functions to adjust the dates (and I don't have any development tools for the Unix system).

Does anybody know how I can determine the time zone of the server and manipulate the date data between two zones?

Steve Bellamy Received on Fri Jun 26 1998 - 09:46:32 CEST

Original text of this message