db_block_buffers limit of 3200 on NT

From: Paul John <paul.john_at_slkp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 14:18:54 -0400

The Oracle 8 documentation states the maximum value for db_block_buffers on Windows NT is 3200. On our data mart machine with a 16K db block size, this equates to 50MB.
Using the db_block_lru_statistics parameters, I have established that more buffers would improve performance. As we have 1GB of memory installed, a relatively low number of concurrent users and few stored procedures, we have plenty to spare.
I have experimented by increasing the value to 320MB and higher and it appears to be used (or at least allocated for use). 7.3 did not specify this restriction and I'm wondering if it may be a typo in the documentation. Does anyone have any experience of this.

Thanks
Paul John Received on Wed May 13 1998 - 20:18:54 CEST

Original text of this message