Re: Problem with query to Oracle 8 database using Oracle ODBC with Excel and Microsoft Query

From: Rick Lobrecht <rudedog_at_neosoft.com>
Date: 1998/05/12

I don't know about t patch for Query, but I do have a sort of solution. Add synonyms for the tables you are trying to query. That way when Query says select from sometable, Oracle knows that you mean someschema.sometable.

On Tue, 12 May 1998 07:16:17 -0500, "Gregory S. Youngblood" <greg_at_tcscs.com> wrote:

>First, my apologies for cross posting to this diverse set of newsgroups. I
>couldn't find any newsgroups which looked like they would fit perfectly, so
>I chose the ones that were relevant to the problem I am having.
>
>Second, I have directed follow-ups to poster. I do not have access to news
>while at work, so if anyone replies, I would appreciate it if you would
>leave the follow-up in tact so that I can receive the updates during them
>course of the day today. Thanks! Now for my problem...
>
>I am having a problem with Oracle 8 ODBC and Microsoft Query and Excel.
>
>If I use Query to build a query and define the fields I want returned and
>the criteria I want data returned by and then tell it to perform the query,
>I get an error that says the data I am searching for does not exist.
>
>We have already gone through and verified all permissions. In fact, we know
>exactly what the problem is. The problem is in the SQL code that the Query
>tool is creating. It isn't including the top level schema or owner of the
>table that we are accessing. By opening the SQL and adding it ourselves, the
>queries work. For example, if I were looking for data in
>someschema.sometable, the query tool is building the SQL with just
>sometable. Adding someschema. to it, for someschema.sometable, then the
>query works.
>
>The problem is NOT present in Access.
>
>I can reliably duplicate this problem on Windows 95 and Windows NT (Windows
>95b and Windows NT 4 SP 3). This is using Office 97 (with SR1) and Oracle
>8.0.4 Win95/NT ODBC driver/tools. The actual Oracle database resides on a
>separate Unix server.
>
>Does anyone know if there is an update or work around for this problem? We
>have already spent several man-hours working on this problem, and I have
>spent more time combing through various newsgroups hoping for an answer too.
>So far, nothing.
>
>TIA,
>Greg

Rick Lobrecht
rudedog_at_neosoft.com Received on Tue May 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message