Re: urgent help needed!! - connecting to db through unix script

From: Doug Barnes <dwb_at_rell.NOSPAM.com>
Date: 1998/03/16

WayneB wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is someting I need to solve as soon as possible.
>
> From unix shell script I need to
>
> 1. Connect to a database
> 2. Retrieve values from a table
> 3. For each value, assign to an environment variable.
> 4. Close connection
>
> When the scripts finishes, I need to be able to see the environment
> variables
> by doing 'set' or 'env' (doesn't matter which one just so long as I can see
> the values
> from the command prompt).
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Wayne Leone

FIRST write something like this and save it to a file (abc.sql for example).

sqlplus user/password<<EOF
select commands required;
exit;
EOF SECOND write a shell program that executes the first file and greps or awks for the variables you require and do the set or export in this program. You could spool off the stuff from step 1 and put it in a file if that's easier for you to work with. Should take about 10 minutes to whip up!!

This is only 1 approach, you could do it all from program one with a little more work but hey, it's free advice. Received on Mon Mar 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message