perl/Hyperwave DBI/DBD ODBC + Oracle questions

From: Carola Boehm <carola_at_music.gla.ac.uk>
Date: 1998/01/28

Hi,
Can anybody help me out with more experience handling the perl DBI/BD modules? I am lost in the installation process due to unsufficient documentation.

Problem:

I have a Hyperwave Information Server running on a Irix 6.3. I also have ACCESS and/or additional future RDBMS running on WindowsNT on a different machine(s). Hyperwave is supposed to have HGI gateways capable of interfacing with RDBMS (via perl DBD/DBI) and my ACCESS database can hook up with a MS SQL server.

According to my documentation, I can specify
( in hgi_config, accoding to docs, but do I just create one if it is not
existant?) gateways to RDBMS via the perlmodule DBD/DBI

I have perl 5.004_01 installed and also DBI 0.91. I have not yet installed DBD-Oracle (as the HWI docs tellme) or DBD-ODBC ( which would be more logical). To install these I must have either already a standing Oracle source (DBD-Oracle docs) or a DSN source specified (DBD-ODBC docs. The DBI module and perl is installed on Irix6.3, i.e. on the same machine as the Hyperwave server.

Questions:

(Using DBD-ODBC) What do I specify as DBI_DSN if the ACCESS datbase is
on a remote machine? DOes it have to be on a local network?

(Using DBD-Oracle) What do I specify when i am not running Oracle but
Access?

Where does the perl DBD/DBI actually have to be installed, on the same machine as the RDBMS or can I access them remotely?

(Using DBD-ODBC) What is ODBCHOME? The directory where (in my case) my
dsn is?

The HWI documentation seem to say that one can access RDBMS of other type than Oracle via Hyperwave and the DBD-Oracle. Is that true and if yes, what do I do with the following step described in DBD-Oracle docs:

   "Install enough Oracle software to enable     DBD::Oracle to build.
    That includes Pro*C."

If the above is false, than do I use DBD-ODBC? How can I hook up Hyperwave and ACcess via DBD-ODBC if they are on different machines? I.e. what should the following env variables set at:
(quote from the installation docs:)

BUILDING:   set-up these environment variables:

    DBI_DSN   The dbi data source, e.g. 'dbi:ODBC:YOUR_DSN_HERE'
    DBI_USER  The username to use to connect to the database
    DBI_PASS  The username to use to connect to the database
    ODBCHOME (Unix only) The dir your driver manager is installed in

Thanks. Please sent comments by email.
carola

          "Is this just a clockwork of fabulous design,
                 or does it actually tell time"
                       (Virgil Thompson)
			  PADS
	    http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/PADS/
                         Carola Boehm
Department of Music                       Tel: +44 (0) 141 330 6065
University of Glasgow                     Fax: +44 (0) 141 330 3518
14 University Gardens                     email: carola_at_music.gla.ac.uk
Glasgow G128QH