Re: Temporary Table Allocation

From: jared still <jkstill_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1998/01/13

On 9 Jan 1998 23:16:45 GMT, seco5001_at_quean.cims.nyu.edu (Peter Secor) wrote:

>Hello All,
>
> Does anyone have a good reference regarding temporary table allocation
> during a stored procedure call? I am looking to store the results of a
> subquery in a temporary table that I wish to exist only for the life
> of the surrounding query. So far I have declared tables before the
> subquery, but these do not seem to be of the correct format (I recieve
> type mismatch errors though the types I am using seem to be the same).
>
>Thanks,
>
> Peter

Peter,

You might try using PL/SQL tables ( now called 'index by tables' ) to store temporary data.

It is very fast.

Also, creating temp tables on the fly in a stored procedure is usually a bad idea for a procedure that is called with any frequency.

Your DBA may not think to highly of dynamic DDL. Received on Tue Jan 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message