Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Anthony Mandic <no_sp.am_at_agd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: 1997/12/01

David Williams wrote:

> And this is the CHEAPEST application that will perform the task?
> Remember most business custoemrs want cheap system...(every supplier
> says that there system will work!!)

	Well, you do get what you pay for. The app I was describing
	was an inhouse app. You seldom get the source to commercial
	apps or access to the developers and immediate fixes.

> >> Either is easy with debug logs. Switch on, get a trace, debug it.
> >> Most debugging can be narrowed down to one screen operation by the
> >> user, plaster with debug and that 's it.
> >
> > This is a point in time issue. But you have to work back thru
> > the app to work out how it got into that state and how the
> > data became incorrect. Often times it was as the result of
> > some hairly written code in a module made by a programmer
> > who either didn't have a proper grasp of what was required or
> > didn't care.
> >
> Which you have to do anyway, what's your point?
	Thats right. My point was that debugging isn't always as
	trivial as checking for a dereferenced pointer with an if
	statement.

> > Of course, we've drifted off topic now. But while we're here,
> > how many others have designed apps to guard against problems
> > and what measures did they take?
> >
> No the app but the database.
>
> - unique indexes
> - not null
> - we would have constriants if I had my way..
	Funny you should mention this. I've just been involved
	with the setting up of another 3rd party system. Had a
	quick look at the schema. Almost every field allows null.
	The table creation script was probably churned out auto-
	matically, judging by the formatting. I'll have to have
	a word to the developers tomorrow.

-am Received on Mon Dec 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message