Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_sgi.com>
Date: 1997/12/01

Gary>
Gary> Tell the airlines that row-level locking isn't
Gary> important.  If the entire seating table for a flight
Gary> was locked for one attendent to assign you a seat,
Gary> it'd be caos.

I doubt very much that SABRE places a logical lock on a seat. It more than likely updates the row with a "lock out".

Gary> Row level locking is quite important in some Gary> instances.

As I've said, if you look at the TPC-C you can see that for a well behaved application there isn't a problem. How do you refute that Sybase currently has a higher tpmC value than Informix? After all, TPC-C's are OLTP and Informix has row level locking. Answer that for me...

Gary> I also agree with his statement that to
Gary> defend Sybase by saying that YOU don't think row level
Gary> locking is important is silly.

That's cool, you can agree that that earth is flat too. How about just answering the TPC-C question above for me.

--
Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (650) 933.3812          Fax # (650) 933.2821
pablo_at_sgi.com              | Pg # (800) 930.5635   -or-   pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com