Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: David Williams <djw_at_smooth1.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/01

In article <3482318D.C4112DA5_at_voicenet.com>, "Scott C. Gray" <ickyspam_gray_at_voicenet.com> writes
>David Williams wrote:
>>
>> In article <3481D92B.75AA9F0D_at_voicenet.com>, "Scott C. Gray"
>> <ickyspam_gray_at_voicenet.com> writes
>> >
>> >Be careful with your wording...locking granularity has nothing at
>> >all to do with reliability (indeed, table locking vs. column locking
>> >has the same reliability when properly implemented). It is all
>> >simply a matter of concurrency and efficiency.
>>
>> Most applications produce an error when a lock error occurs.
>>

>I assume that you are referring to deadlocks. While it is true that
>deadlocks may be reduced in a row vs. page locking environment, they
>can still occur (don't forget we are only talking about locking...
>not versioning--which can also be done in a page locked environment).
>
>It is foolish for any application developer to fail to check for such
>conditions (although, in my experience, almost everyone does).
>Thus, for a properly coded application, page locking does not
>reduce application reliability one bit...it just increases the
>likely hood that the proper error detection/recovery code will
>be executed (although, in a properly developed environment, it
>is possible to eliminate deadlocks anyway).

  Correct, the user will receive an error message saying this item cannot be updated an hence this "the application failed with an error, it is not as reliable as other applications".

>> 1. Queries fails
>> 2. Database modifications produce an error and the transaction is
>> rolled back (few applications retry).
>>
>> Hence APPLICATION RELIABLITIY is reduce.
>
>Once again...be careful about your wording. It seems that you
>are producing a false analogy along the lines of:
>
> 1. Some conditions cause the database to generate an
> error.
> 2. Many applications don't check for these errors
>
> The database is not working properly.

  No, but I'm syaing the user sees more error messages and updates   which failed to complete.

--
David Williams