Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_sgi.com>
Date: 1997/11/24

Perry>
Perry> [ The old row level versus page level crud deleted ]

Perry,

All I'm saying is that the hype you have fallen for is really not there. Most problems with locking are centered around the application not the RDBMS. If you have a finely tuned application in (gasp!) any RDBMS, the application will do well. Take a look at the TPC-C's (which is a tuned application) and you'll see that the current numbers for Informix are something like 24K and Sybase it's something like 34K. Sybase is doing page level locking and Informix is not (in certain areas).

I'm certain that a new -C value for Informix will come out topping even Oracle's 50-odd K but that's not the point. The point is:

  1. Rarely is there an application that requires as much throughput as a -C
  2. Row level versus page level locking is all marketing hype crap. If you want to believe, go for it... but look for the problems in your application, not at the RDBMS

Ultimately, people believe what they want to believe... this argument is so old... yawn.

ps: I've written quite a few app's and have DBA'd for

     several years.

pps: I do like Oracle's Server Process scheme. I can bet

      one can push the disks really hard with all them
      readers.
--
Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (650) 933.3812          Fax # (650) 933.2821
pablo_at_sgi.com              | Pg # (800) 930.5635   -or-   pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com

Original text of this message