Re: Fragmentation in Oracle

From: REIP Jean-Claude <jacari.consultant.noospaamm_at_skynet.be>
Date: 1997/11/06

Hi,

This is not called "fragmentation" in Oracle (no file fragmentation) Each time you add records, your HWM (High Water Mark) can increase, but never decrease until you truncate the table.

The best use of your space is tuned by the storage parameters (PCTUSE PCTFREE). You can see if your add and delete records are somewhat equivalent (in size) or not by searching in DBA_SEGMENTS (group by .. I don't remember just now). If your table grows and you think that it's not logical, try to change storage parameters.

Your export/truncate/import may fill your blocks if you choose good storage parameters (depending your update need) but certainly avoid linked blocks (caused by increasing size of data by updating records)

Hope this helps.

--
REIP Jean-Claude
Enlevez ".remove.this" de l'adresse (anti-spam)