Re: database evaluation reports

From: Nils Myklebust <Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no>
Date: 1997/10/06

lemayf_at_istar.ca (Francois LeMay) wrote:

:We did that in here, by an independant consulting firm, Oracle won and
:Sysbase came a close 2nd, mostly because of the documentation available not
:from the engine standpoint.

A most strange result. I have hardly heard anyone complaining about the Informix documentation. On the contrary it seems to be in the "best of the industry" class. May be this was only between Oracle and Sybase.

A general problem of such comparisons is that when features and functionality is included the field is currently changing so rapidly that a 1/2 year old comparison may be totally out of date. Another issue is that your use of the database is a significant issue. If you do data warehousing where TCP-D results might have any relevance Informix seems to be quite far in front of everybody else. On TPC-C results the difference isn't allways that big and other issues may be more important.
All this and more makes it so difficult to evaluate that you realy have to do it yourself, possibly with the help of consultants for your case. The danger with consultants of course is that they often aren't objective when it comes down to the people who is going to do the work. This was never an easy field.

:Francois LeMay
:CSC Canada
:
:In article <34352AEF.CACB12BF_at_corp.adaptec.com>, fchao_at_corp.adaptec.com
:says...
:>
:>Hi,
:>
:>Where can I find database eveluation reports that compare the
:>functionalities and features of four major databases - Oracle, Informix,
:>Sybase and MS-sql server.
:>
:>Thanks,
:>
:>Frank
:>fchao_at_corp.adaptec.com
:>
:

Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no
NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway My opinions are those of my company
The Informix FAQ is at http://www.iiug.org Received on Mon Oct 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message