Re: Sequence numbers jumping

From: Joseph S. Testa <jtesta_at_scioto.net>
Date: 1997/09/28

--------------05848EBBBBD0867F176A9EA8

Fenella Tan wrote:

> We're having problems with our sequence numbers. For some reason, they
> seem to be jumping up by 20 instead of the specified increment by 1.
> Any ideas on what may cause this ? We're using Oracle 7.3 on UNIX with
> a Visual Basic front-end. The jumps happen intermittently. It'll work
> (increment by 1) for a few records, and then it'll suddenly go up by 20
> again. Appreciate any input.

Here are a couple of ideas:

  1. If an application selects from the seq and rollsback the transaction that number is lost forever(at least without resetting the sequence).
  2. By default the cache for sequences is 20, now this has an impact in this way, say the sequence starts at 1, 1-20 are cached in memory. you only use 1-5, next time you bounce the database, 6-20 were in memory and are now lost, next time you get a seq number it will be 21. I have tested this theory on Oracle 7.3.2 on HPUX and with the discussions on the oracle -l listserv others have also.

HTH, joe

--
Joseph S. Testa, Oracle Database Administrator
Are you looking for Oracle DBA in Central Ohio, but only want one for some

--------------05848EBBBBD0867F176A9EA8

begin:          vcard
fn:             Joseph S. Testa
n:              Testa;Joseph S.
org:            Origin Technology in Business
adr:            ;;;;OH;;USA
email;internet: jtesta_at_scioto.net
title:          Oracle DBA
note:           Oracle DBA in central Ohio and doing geneaology research on Testa family, I have 2 ICQ uins, home: 2814105, work 2832230, you can also find me on netscape conference.
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard