Re: Q:Good preformance

From: A. Paul Singer <singerap_at_4dcomm.com>
Date: 1997/09/22

This is a highly platform specific question. Many people have inadverntely harmed their performance by increasing the block size. This is a questionable piece of generic advice.

The best way to tune performance is to tune your queries. You should also monitor your database to see if you are over using a specific resource, like shared pool. The UTLBSTAT and UTLESTAT scripts are a good place to start. (Check the spelling, I don't have my Oracle reference handy).

There are several factors that affect block IO including db_block_size. Are you accessing data randomly or sequentially. If you are accessing data randomly increasing your db_bloc_size may hurt your performance.