Re: What is a relational database?

From: D1Scully <d1scully_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/09/17

In article <341A8E30.914DCDB3_at_midtown.net>, Malcolm Blackhall <blackhal_at_midtown.net> writes:

>According to C.J. Date, a simple definition of a relational database
>management system is one that stores data as tables and supports the
>select, project and join operations.

This is true. I would just like to point out that just because you build someting in a RDBMS it doesn't mean it's a relational database. More often than not this is the case. Many of the coorporate databases I see are set up on super RDBMS's with lots of tables, 50-100 columns per table, millions of records . . . and not one single relational tie between them. Makes me wonder sometimes. Received on Wed Sep 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message