Re: How to INSERT efficiently? When to COMMIT, When to CREATE INDEXES ..

From: Robert Buda <budab_at_stargate.bfrsys.com>
Date: 1997/06/06

Adam Tadj wrote:

> I will be INSERTing a sizable chunck of data into a table with 45
> columns and I wanna do it as fast and as efficient as I can.
> - Should I populate the bare table first then CREATE INDEXes?
> - Should I COMMIT periodically (eg every 100 or 1000, 2222, .. records)
> if so,
> - is there a written rule or at leat a rule of thumb?
> - or should I COMMIT at the very end?
> - Also, are there other stuff I need to consider too?

One thing to consider is that if you do not commit at least occasionally during the insert, then you will need a very large rollback segment. Also
if the process fails in the middle for any reason, you would have to start all over again.

Bob Buda
budab_at_bfrsys.com Received on Fri Jun 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message