PL/SQL question

From: Janus Christensen <janus_at_staff.kvl.dk>
Date: 1997/06/04

--------------DB8B3DFD9AA140AA8A282092

Hello.

I am in the process of producing a database application which, uses a database that contains information about Ph.D. students at the Royal Veterinarian and Agricultural School in Denmark. This database also contains information about several mailing lists. The idea is that the users should be able to access the mailing lists via a web browser and be able search for mailing lists and people on the lists.

Another feature that is giving me some problems is that people should be able to put and remove themselves from the mailing lists using the web application. Said application would be written in PL/SQL. This is my question: is it possible to call a program from PL/SQL? This program would probably written in C and does the actual maintaining of the mailing lists by writing in files which reside on the mailing server. These files contains the information about who is on which mailing lists.

This means: when a person is inserted into the database a number of triggers fire and inserts the person in the default groups (mailing lists). The PL/SQL code should then call the C program which will then put the persons e-mail into the correct files on the mail server.

Is this possible?

Regards,

--
Janus Christensen                Den Kgl. Veterinær- og Landbohøjskole
e-mail: janus_at_staff.kvl.dk, tel: +45 35 28 23 55, fax: +45 35 28 23 68

--------------DB8B3DFD9AA140AA8A282092
Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Janus Christensen Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="vcard.vcf" begin: vcard fn: Janus Christensen n: Christensen;Janus org: Den Kgl. Veterinær- og Landbohøjskole adr: EDB Afdelingen;;Torvaldsensvej 40;1871 Frederiksberg C;;;Denmark email;internet: janus_at_staff.kvl.dk tel;work: +45 35 28 23 55 tel;fax: +45 35 28 23 68 x-mozilla-cpt: ;0 x-mozilla-html: FALSE end: vcard
--------------DB8B3DFD9AA140AA8A282092--