Re: Oracle ODBC connection and VB4

From: Steve Thompson <thompsons_at_usa.redcross.org>
Date: 1997/05/01

Mark McCubbin wrote:

> I need my VB4 application to "talk" to the Oracle Local Database that
> resides on my desktop PC. When I try to open the database from my VB4
> app, I get the error message "Couldn't find installable ISAM."
>
> To setup the data source I double-clicked the ODBC icon in Control
> Panel, clicked the Add button, chose "Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb," and
> keyed in "Local Database" for data source name.
>
> The connect code I use in my VB code is
>
> sConnect = "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ODBC32.DLL;UID=SCOTT;PWD=TIGER"
>
> ' Get ISAM error message on next line...
> Set dbPersonInfo = OpenDatabase("Local Database", False, False,
> sConnect)
>
> If you have any advice, I would appreciate your assistance. Thank you.
>
> Mark

Mark, Your connect string is wrong. It should look like  sConnect = "ODBC;DSN=yourdsn;UID=SCOTT;PWD=TIGER"

where "yourdsn" is a Data Source Name you have set up in the ODBC administrator. Since it appears you are using 32-bit windows, This would be in the Control Panel under ODBC. You'll have to set the connect string in the DSN to the name of your database instance or try "2:" for the default one. Received on Thu May 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message