Re: Cascade update

From: Roberto Bruno <rbruno_at_centroin.com.br>
Date: 1997/04/29

Jeremy Rickard wrote:

  In article <335f3321.360066_at_news.pacific.net.sg>, ECatz <eeket.   tang_at_dbsp.stems.com> writes
>I know that Oracle allows cascade delete, but what about cascade
>update ?

  Don't know. Some databases do, some don't.

  Personally, I can't see a need for this feature, so long as you   choose
  sensible (stable) primary keys.
  --
  Jeremy Rickard

 It can't. And if you have dealt with long history, you'll wish it could. Time shows that the hardest thing is to get a key that's really stable.

Right now, the only way I know of doing it is temporarily disabling the key, updating on both tables and then enabling it again. Of course, that involves locking both tables during this operation. I hope you are not needing this for any high-availability distributed system.

If anyone knows that I'm wrong, please let me know. Received on Tue Apr 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message