Re: Forms3.0 to Forms 4.5 Migration.

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/04/25

Raj Agarwal (rka.ra_at_worldnet.att.net) wrote:
: Migrating from FORMS 3.0 on UNIX to
: FORMS4.5 on Windows 95/NT

Non-trivial IMHO as F30 is character mode and F45 on windoze is GUI. Expect hours of fun trying to control all of those views, pop-ups, lovs, font, etc.

: 81 calls to user_exits.
: - 30 Distinct user exits.

User-exits, depends what they do. If they do no interaction with the file system (ie just number crunching or db access) then you could be OK. Conversion depends on wha they do, what language they are written in and how well they have been written wrt portability.

: 114 calls to HOSTS: (19 rm, 7 runrpts.sh ; 15 mail; 32 echo; ..)

These could be trickier, depending on what they do. NT/95 have a number of scripting languages available - DOS as a default and it's possible to use such things as perl, python, and the cygnus GNU (Unix) utilites (these may cure some of your problems out of the box).

: 1 Page: 54 forms
: 30+ Pages: 1

Try converting a multi-page 3.0 form and running it under F4.5 and see what happens as pages become individul canvases. Depends on how you wish to handle this, maybe best to create a root window/canvas onto which everything else is a stacked view. Make sure you draw the 54 1 page forms to convert :) Sorry, can't be anymore help, but it does depend how you wish to convert.

: Total Procedures: 2940

PL/SQL procedures/function/triggers should be no problem.

: Any help in estimating the effort based on your past experience or gut feel
: would be appreciated.

There are a couple of other small things to be aware of : The checking of certain things in F45 appears to be tighter then F30, so don't be surprised if your initial conversion process for a number of forms fails with some trivial errors (ie default strings being longer then the length of the char field).

: Please also cc my email id: rka.ra_at_worldnet.att.net

I encourage you to read the forum in which you posed the question.

IAP

--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address can can be determined by replacing 'not.valid' with