Re: !!ATTENTION DATABASE DEVELOPERS!! - Boycott boors who rudely advertise in news groups!

From: Tom Abraham <tabraham_at_concentric.net>
Date: 1997/04/06

mr/scuba wrote:
> Boycott boors who rudely advertise in news groups!

While I certainly agree with the sentiment, I have to wonder if it will be applied. I've often (OK, a few times), posted a response to an article saying that I thought the post was more ad than not. I've been "sent to the woodshed" each and every time (as I'll likely be for posting this), and accused of not understanding that the poster was "merely trying to help the original poster with INFORMATION". (I suspect that a lot of this is because I mostly lurk and don't "advertise" and am not seen as an "expert".) If an ad IS information, then why do people get upset with SPAM??

I'm not saying that people who work for a company that makes a product that has features relevant to the topic should be prevented from replying to messages on the topic. Far from it. I just think that, if a person questions the intentions of a poster, said person doesn't necessarily deserve to be flamed.

Does anyone ever wonder why some of these news groups have so few posts? Or, why so few decent posts come from just a few people? Perhaps, if the occassional poster weren't flamed for venturing out from cover to post, then there would be more posts, for the benefit of all.

Tom "Everything's a database" Abraham

(No sig file, for religious reasons. :-) )