Re: Q: Syncsort - in DSS env.

From: Matt Reprogle <mcreprog_at_mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: 1997/04/03

Krishna K. Kurup wrote:

> Is anyone using SyncSort out there to sort, aggregate data in a DSS
> environment ? How would you rate the tool? What are the advantages
> and limitations of the tool ?
>
> Any info is appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Krishna

At one point I evaluated SyncSort for use in an OLTP environment on our HP-UX (Unix) system. In sorting a 55MB file it reduced the sort time from something like 63 sec to about 4 sec when compared with the standard Unix "sort". This on a S800/H50 processor.

We found another way around the sort problem, so we ended up not buying SyncSort, but it was impressive. I especially liked how it has a mode where it may be substituted for the Unix sort command and called with the same syntax.

--
Matthew C. Reprogle
Delco Electronics - IC Integrated Manufacturing	phone:  (765)451-9651