Re: HELP: Please help, what client-tool to use for developing client-server applications?

From: Joe Palm <JEPalm_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/04/01

Savas,

I understand your problem, and would like to contribute my opinion.

I am an independent consultant, and develop systems in many different languages and platforms (Access, Powerbuilder, Lotus Notes, Cobol, etc. for standalone pc's, 2 and 3-tier client/server environments).

From the tools you mentioned (Visual Basic, Delphi, Jam, PB, Oracle Developer 2000), I have only used VB and PB, but have close associates that have used VB and Delphi and we frequently compare notes and discuss how these products compare and contrast.

Also, about 2 1/2 years ago I underwent a thorough analysis and research for a client of mine who was in your exact situation: wanting to go to client server and having the luxury of being able to objectively look at all of them as real possibilities.

With all that said, I think Powerbuilder would be an excellent choice. I have been working with this product for almost 3 years now, and it is incredibly robust, very stable and probably the most vast GUI tool I've ever worked with.

Then you should consider the fact that some highly respected trade journals chose Powerbuilder 5.0 as their 1996 product of the year, over Developer2000, Delphi and VB.

Since these experts compared all these products for us, why should we reinvent the wheel?

I believe Powerbuilder's price/performance to be excellent, and given the extensive examples that come with the product, you will have a built-in tutor to help you through things as you develop your first application...not to mention the significant online resources such as this newsgroup.

I hope this helps, Savas.

jepalm_at_worldnet.att.net Received on Tue Apr 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message