Re: c program against databases

From: Tony DeRosa <tonydr_at_www.thethinker.com>
Date: 1997/03/21

Ashi Chaturvedula wrote:

> Lan H. Tran wrote:
> >
> > hello,
> > i would like to write a unix-based c program that would perform SELECT
> > and INSERT against a database. i am very familiar with esql/c.
> > however, i would like to productize this program and allow it to work
> > with a variety of databases (Informix, Oracle, Sybase, DB2) on a variety
> > of operating systems (variations of unix and NT, maybe).
> >
> > is the best way to write embedded sql c code (and recompile using
> > esql/c, pro*c, etc...)? how standard is this? is there a good toolkit
> > to help me out? is there a good book or website to learn more? how do
> > app dev packages like IEF do it?
> >
> > it seems like i would have to buy alot of precompilers. for example, 4
> > databases running on 5 platforms would require 20 (4 x 5) esql/c like
> > compilers. is this true?
> >
> > i would appreciate any guidance.
> >
> > Lan H. Tran
> > Ventera Corporation
> > lantran_at_ventera.com
>
> Refer to DBToools.h (www.roguewave.com) - Very popular tool to write
> C++ code.
>
> Ashi
dbtools looks great, but VMS support? anything similar? We are attempting to update Oracle RDBMS tables in parallel with our proprietary dbase in an effort to eventually run solely on the RDBMS and obsolete our proprietary db. We originally thought to use embedded SQL but would welcome new ideas. Received on Fri Mar 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message