Re: Locked table in Oracle

From: Bruce Armstrong <barmstro_at_mail.gte.net>
Date: 1997/03/06

rrn_at_lyin.dk (René Rolander Nygaard) wrote:

>Now the concurrency table is locked. I can't do a rollback or commit,
>since Oracle think i'm not the user. I have to shutdown the server, in
>order to get access to the concurrency-table !!!
>
>This can't be right !
>Is should be possible for Oracle to detect this, and unlock the table.

That's true. There is a process called PMON that is supposed to check regularly for disconnected processes and kill them. I've found that, depending on the version of the server, PMON can be rather flakey. However, you should be able to kill the process manually, so that you don't have to shutdown the server. Try something like:

ALTER SYSTEM KILL PROCESS x ;

where x is the process number for the disconnected user.

You'll have to do that from SQL*DBA or a similar tool.

Bruce Armstrong				| Source Consulting
mailto:barmstro_at_mail.gte.net		| mailto:jobs_at_sourcela.com
http://home1.gte.net/barmstro/		| http://www.sourcela.com

Preach the gospel at all times.If necessary, use words.	[Francis of Assisi]