Re: What is the best UNIX for oracle?

From: fjp <nobody_at_home.now>
Date: 1997/02/16

In article <3301625C.DA7_at_mindspring.com>, James Hedman <hedman_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

>> What is the best UNIX for Oracle
>
>Solaris 2.5

On what do you base this presumption? In head-to-head testing we're performing in our own labs, a dual-processor HP 9000/D270 running HP-UX 10.20 is outgunning a DEC Alpha running Digital UNIX 3.2F, which is in turn, outperforming a quad-processor Sun Enterprise 3000 running Solaris 2.5.1.

Each box is running Oracle 7.3.2.3 with identically configured instances. We are running multiple tests on a database comprising over 1700 tables and 800 indexes. Even at this juncture, I'd be reluctant to say that one version of UNIX is better than another. I'd have to look at the *entire* configuration -- i/o channels, disk configuration, swap space, etc.

The question itself is, in my opinion, meaningless. Received on Sun Feb 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message