Re: Migration tools mainframe (IBM) to Midrange??

From: Nigel Hall <Nigel_at_Hallnet.com>
Date: 1997/01/30

In article <32EE95FE.428_at_ix.netcom.com>, pcumming_at_ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of any tools that can run on a mainframe (IBM) and pull
> data (extract) for transfer to a midrange (Unix) box in an efficient
> fashion?? Currently we have to write custom programs on our mainframe to
> extract data we want to a flat file. Then for each extract we must
> unpack any packed data (Comp-3) fields on the mainframe.
> Then we transfer the data from the Mainfrmae to the midrange and BCP it
> in to the database. We could also do a hyperchannel.
>
> Wonder if there is some better or quicker way or some product...

> Thanks for an email reply.
>
> Peter

There are a number of 3rd party products that do this type of thing. Platinum has something, the name of which escapes me right now. Princeton Softech have an extension to their Move product that will do it aswell. I've been using IBM's DataPropagator to move data from DB2 on a mainframe into Informix on AIX. It's simple to setup although not that speedy.

Nigel Hall
nigel_at_hallnet.com Received on Thu Jan 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message