Using PowerBuilder DB Painter, repository with Oracle

From: <ggnearin_at_itd.vac-acc.gc.ca>
Date: 1997/01/30

We are using Oracle 7.2 and Powerbuilder 5 in our shop and are trying to come up with some standard regarding the use of the DBA painter and the PowerBuilder repository in building tables. Two examples:

  1. If we use the DBA painter to build tables, the tables and indices get built in the users` default tablespace, removing the ability to use seperate data and index tablespaces.
  2. We have discovered that when we drop and recreate the table in Oracle Server Manager (running the saved and modified scripts) we get duplicate index errors on the repository PBCATCOL table. We have to drop the table in the DBA painter first.

What we have been doing is generating and saving the SQL and then modifying it by hand to comply with our standards for tablespaces, naming constraints, etc.

Any advice as to what other Oracle shops are doing with the PB repository would be welcome.

Thanks

  • Gary **

Gary Nearing
Database Administration, Veterans Affairs Canada All opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of Veterans Affairs Canada