Re: Need to create a highly secured database

From: Tony Gravagno <tonyg_at_picksys.com>
Date: 1997/01/08

On 6 Jan 1997 23:21:34 GMT, "Renaud LAFFONT" <baker_at_lac.gulliver.fr> wrote:

>Hello
>
>I'm looking to create a database.
>
>Here's the specs :
>
>- There will be a small number (20-30) of large records (lots of fields).

Please forgive me, but this doesn't look like much of a task. When you say a small number of large records, I might question the database design. If the records are VERY large, you might want to distribute it a little more evenly using a different keying mechanism and adding indexes for fast retrieval.

This is the way the way the D3 DBMS from Pick Systems is structured. Note that this reply is originating from comp.databases.pick. See http://www.picksys.com for more information about D3. Be sure to check out the Overview and White Paper links.

>Some will have access to all records, some will have access to a limited
>number of records. Within these records some information will not be
>available to all levels.

D3 and Pick-derrivative systems do not yet have record level security at the environment level, but this may be easily regulated from the application.

>For each file, access control will be coded by
>organization (departments, administration) and level (salesman, middle
>management, top management). The access control should, of course, be easy
>to modify and maintain.

This is built right into D3 at the environment level, with different access allowed for read and write privileges.

>I'm either looking for a database software that has these access control
>features built-in or for some sort of plug-in for an existing database
>product. Our company is currrently using Access but this database will run
>on a NT server for Intranet use and queries will be made through HTML so
>this is not an issue.

The D3/NT platform meets these requirements, but of course some application work will need to be done to fully implement the business rules and data input/output. Different mechanisms for access to the server are available and more are being developed by Pick Systems and the Pick community, including ODBC, SQL, CGI, Java, and direct socket interfaces.

>If someone has a similar experience, please contact me.

E-mailed.

>Renaud Laffont
>baker_at_lac.gulliver.fr

Please feel free to contact our Paris, France office for more information, if you wish.

--
Tony Gravagno, Pick Systems, Inc.
Quality Assurance Manager

For Customer Support, please contact
support_at_picksys.com or phone 714-261-1875
PLEASE provide full contact and System information
in all inquiries, including System ID.