Re: How to rename a table ?

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/01/03

You can use rename to rename a table:

SQL> create table a ( a int );

Table created.

SQL> insert into a values ( 1234567890 );

1 row created.

SQL> rename a to b;

Table renamed.

SQL> select * from b;

1234567890

SQL> <quote>

SYNTAX:   RENAME old TO new

where:

old

    is the current name of an existing table, view, sequence, or private     synonym.

new

    is the new name to be given to the existing object.

PREREQUISITES:
    The object must be in your own schema. </quote>

On Thu, 02 Jan 1997 21:19:09 -0600, Tony DeFelice <tonyd_at_communique.net> wrote:

>Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:
>>
>> I have a table that is serving data to web users around the clock.
>> Its a rather huge table, has a primary key and a couple of indices also.
>>
>> I figured that instead of trying to update 5,000 rows in the main
>> 200,000 rows table, I may be better off doing it all to a temporary
>> table while dropping its indices to improve performance and when I am
>> done, drop the main table and rename the temporary table as the main table.
>>
>> Is this possible ? Also is this a good solution ? I looked up the alter
>> table command in the SQL Reference manual and did not find a way to rename
>> a table.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any pointers.
>>
>> Atif Khan
>> aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu
>
>There is no way to rename a table in Oracle...
>
>You can however create a new table with the same definition as an
>existing table by using an insert into statement such as:
>
>insert into <newtablename>
>select * from <existingtablename>
>
>In your case, I would look more closely at your indexing, because
>updating 5,000 rows out of 200,000 rows is not that much...
>
>1st try to create an index (or a temporary index) on the entire where
>clause of your update statement.
>
>If this doesn't speed things up enough, you may wish to try inserting
>new rows into a non indexed table, then creatinging indexes on it.

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

  • Check out Oracle Governments web site! ----- Follow the link to "Tech Center" and then downloadable Utilities for some free software...

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Jan 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message