LONG data types from MSACCESS-ODBC-Oracle7

From: Michael Huttinger <huttinger_at_ipact.com>
Date: 1996/12/16

Hello,

We're currently using MSAccess95 to connect to an Oracle7 database (via Oracle's ODBC driver). We have been having problems updating or inserting feilds that use Oracle's LONG data type. We use these fields for descriptions of items in a table. We have no problems with any other field types.

Access links to the tables and sees the fields as a Memo field, but when trying to update data in the field results in the following error:

        ODBC--update failed on attached (linked) table 'TABLE_NAME'

and then:

        [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Invalid string or buffer length. (#0)

Does anyone know if this is a known bug or an error on our part? Has anyone been able to update LONG fields in Oracle via and ODBC application?

For some reason, MSQuery IS able to do this, but we are unsure as to why it works and MSAccess doesn't.

FYI, we are running:

	MSAccess		v7.00
	Oracle ODBC		v1.13.5.0.0A
	Oracle SQL*Net Client	v2.2.2.1.0
	Oracle Server		v7.2 (I think)

Thanks for any help you may have!

--
Mike Huttinger
huttinger_at_ipact.com                           IPACT, Inc.