Re: RAID LEVEL 5 (Advanced File Sys

From: Dennis Williams <104052.3374_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1996/12/10

Delbert E. Hickman <DEHickman_at_tasc.com> wrote:

>I am interested in knowing if anyone has any experience with
>using RAID Level 5 under the Advanced File System for the
>DEC Alpha 2100 system or anything close to this. The issue
>I am concerned with is performance. Has anyone had any bad/good
>encounters with this configuration in relation to performance.

We run an OLTP database under AFS of about that size. We have been very pleased with the performance and reliability. We lost a disk and didn't know it until the sys admin happened to look at the light on it. Digital now is providing some tools to notify when something like this happens. Our production system with the RAID system is an 8200. We also have a 2100 test system, and depending on what useage you are planning to support, I would be concerned whether that will have enough cpu power. Contact me directly if you want to discuss this more.

Dennis Williams DBA
Lifetouch Inc. Received on Tue Dec 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message