Re: Oracle Performance on NT

From: Brian Michael <oracledba_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1996/12/10

Surjit Hunjan wrote:

> I am working as a DBA on a site were they are using NT3.51 and Oracle
> 7.2..2.4. The NT Server has two 133mhz pentium processors and 128 meg
> of memory.
>
> The application which is being developed will typically perform a
> dozen selects, two or three inserts and a couple of updates.
>
> They are looking to get two hundred cocurrent users on the system,
> although at a given time not all the sessions will be active.
>
> My question is has anybody managed to set up a database on NT which
> can handled the above throughput.
>
> I now it's a vague question but i would like to get feeling of whats
> been acheived on Oracle on NT.
>
> Surjit Hunjan
> DualAlpha Limited

If they are running a single motherboard with a dual cpu chip (inline) then you may or may not beable to do it. NT can handle quit a load of users. It is the load of joins and reports that kill any machine.

How many three, four and five or more table joins are you doing? If you have problems, make sure you tune the memory, and the joins using tkprof before committing to a bigger box.

Compaq Proliant towers are pretty nice and can migrate up to four or even 8 cpus (individual motherboards).

Brian
oracledba_at_earthlink.net Received on Tue Dec 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message