Re: Moving System Tablespace

From: N.Prabhakar <prabhs_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1996/12/04

leslie_at_darth.lfso.loral.com (Leslie Carter) writes: >
> I am trying to reorganize a database and am moving some tablespaces to
> different disks. To do this I am bringing the tablespace offline, then
> issuing an alter tablespace rename datafile command. Can I do this with
> the system tablespace? My question is if I take the system tablespace
> offline and rename it, how will the data dictionary get updated?

Hi there,

Try the following.

  1. shutdown the database.
  2. copy the /disk1/system.dbf to /disk2/system.dbf using your OS copy command.
  3. startup mount.
  4. alter database rename file '/disk1/system.dbf' to '/disk2/system.dbf'
  5. alter database open
  6. select * from dba_data_files where tablespace_name = 'SYSTEM'; check if oracle has changed its pointers to reference your new file.
  7. Take an offline backup of the database.

The above step should work.

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Wed Dec 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message