Re: Determining what is causing high wio%

From: Peter Marelas <maral_at_phase-one.com.au>
Date: 1996/12/04

Neil Greene wrote:

> > I have an E5000s (6 cpu/1.0 Gb ram) running Oracle Financials 10.6.1
> > (about 7-8 development databases) Oracle RDBMS 7.1.6.2, Solstice Backup
> > 4.2.2 (Networker), and Patrol agent.
> >
> > This particular machine has 3 IO cards attached to it. Cards 1 and 3
> > are each connected to 1 RSM214 storage array, each on channel b. IO
> > card #5 is connected to 2 additional storage arrays for fail over on
> > channels a and b.
> >
> > I have noted a high percentage of wio on the system anywhere from
> > 70-80%. I first thought it was the DLT tape device connected through
> > Solstice Backup, so I turned Networker off to see if this solved my
> > problem. Still, high wio%. I next turned off Patrol, still high wio%.
> > Next, I am going to shut down all of the financials databases and their
> > associated processes.
> >
> > What is a good solution to determine what is causing high wio%?
>
> Well....I determined the cause of the high percentage of wio% was coming
> from the databases running on the system. After starting one instance,
> the system averaged around 26% wio, after starting the second instance,
> 46-50% wio, and the % increased as additional databases were started.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this same problem or cpu usage??

Umm use SyMon to determine which disk is being thrashed. Also, you should be able to tell which tables are being thrashed from ubstat etc.
You need to balance these datafiles across disks accordingly. Also, ensure FastWrites are turned on, on your storage arrays.

--
The Fulcrum Consulting Group               Peter Marelas - Consultant
12/10-16 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000,Australia   Ph: +61-3-9621-2100