Re: Can Distributed Database work on a dial-up network?

From: Jacek Dobosz <jdob_at_ping.at>
Date: 1996/11/30

On 29 Nov 1996 02:48:34 GMT, edwintao_at_igate.iohk.com (Edwin Tao) wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>We are trying to setup a symmetric replication environment between
>HK and Singapore. To avoid using an expensive lease line, we are
>thinking of using dial-up networking as the communication link to
>the replicated databases for synchronization. Problem is that
>we can't find any Oracle Manual/Notes on such setup. And how

There is no such manual because SQLNET 2.X is based on TNS ( Transparent Network Substrate ) the protocol on the 5th layer of ISO-OSI and don't handle directly with low level Protocols such PPP or slip which are needed for dial-up networking.

Anyway, there is no reason why symmetrical replications over dial-up network should not work.
There are some issues with the initializations, timeouts, bandwidth, etc ... , but not on oracle side ( except possible logical conflicts ).

jacek Received on Sat Nov 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message