Re: How to name inline constraints using Designer 2000

From: Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1996/11/28

John Elliott <elliotjs_at_dmdcwest.fmp.osd.mil> wrote:

>This is fine, however when using the Generate SQL DDL utility these allowable
>values get turned into unnamed inline constraints. Running the generated DDL
>results in a bunch of SYS_Cnnnnnn named constraints. How can I get Designer
>2000 to name these constraints? If this is not possible, what are the
>workarounds?

You are right, it's not possible. This is a failing of Designer, in my opinion, as it forces you to move the definition of allowable values which are part of your business rule set down to the detailed design level of the data-diagrammer.

I've only found two ways wound this - one is to use the CHECK constraint defined on the table specified using the data diagrammer, the other is to generate the DDL anyway, and then edit the in-line constraint definitions to give them a meaningful name.

I prefer the latter, as it enables me to keep the allowable values in at the ERD level! However, if you have many allowable value sets defined, you might find this a bit of a pain :-)

--
Simon Holt --  System Designer/DBA
** My opinions are not nescessarily those of my employers **