Re: Oracle & the Web

From: James Cooper <pixel_at_organic.com>
Date: 1996/11/18

[Posted and mailed]

> I have used and tried the following:
>
> LiveWire Pro
> Cold Fusion
> ihtml

I've tried the following (all w/Oracle and web server on SGI/IRIX):

Sapphire/Web from Bluestone
Oracle's WOW interface
Writing CGI scripts using PRO*C
Writing CGI scripts using Perl5 and DBI

I've documented my experience with these options at: http://www.coe.missouri.edu/~pixel/computers/oracle.html

Some of the info is a little old. I wrote the page months ago, but hopefully you'll find some useful tidbits there.

I'm more comfortable with perl than anything else, so I prefer accessing the database using perl5 CGI scripts. I don't know how your staff is setup and what their experience/needs are, so this option may not be appropriate. However, it does give you a tremendous amount of flexibility. And since you have complete source to both DBI and your web server (if you use Apache), you can customize/improve the tools if you need to, which I think is very useful.

Cheers,

  • James

James Paul Cooper
Organic Online
pixel_at_organic.com Received on Mon Nov 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message