Re: Personal Oracle 7.2 Database Question

From: Hagen Finley <hagen_at_violet.berkeley.edu>
Date: 1996/11/16

AS wrote:

> Scenario is.....
>
> I have two pc's both running PO7.2 I need to transfer an existing
> database from pc1 to pc2, so I copied all of the contents of the
> c:\orawin95\database directory from pc1 to pc2.
>
> This I though would cover the complete database, but when
> I attempt to stat the db on pc2 I am asked for a password implying
> that something is missing.....note that I am not asked for a pw when
> starting the db on pc1.
>
> Any ideas...
>
> Any help appreciated....
>
> Regards
> Ab
> Regards
> A Sheikh
> Cintra Software & Services
> New York
> USA
>
> My Opinions are my own and not that of Cintra Software & Services.

The simplest way to accomplish this task is to export the entire PO7 (pc1) database into a .dmp file and then import the .dmp file into PO7 (pc2). If you installed the 16 bit database administration tools which acompany the standard WIN 3.1 version, they offer both an export and import utility which (although it complains that the database versions conflict) consistently does the job. It is also necessary to install files which allow the 16 bit applications to connect with the 32 bit database, those are listed under the /windows directory of the PO7 WIN95 CD and there is a simple installation procedure to follow there. The only bad news is that I was told it is best or possibly necessary to install WIN95 PO7 on top of the WIN 3.1 database in order for the tools to work. That's what I did, so I am not sure whether or not you can configure these 16 bit tools after the fact. BTW, importing and exporting provides a simple and safe way to back up your data also. Good Luck!

Hagen Finley Received on Sat Nov 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message