Re: perf monitoring HOWTO?

From: Vladimir Stavitsky <vlads_at_lvalue.com>
Date: 1996/11/13

Dear Lun Wing San:

thank you for your desire to help, but your advice is unacceptable: as i put it in my original post, i need to run scripts in the background to collect data to be able to run some stat analysis subsequently.

My impression is it's not viable with the Server Manager GUI.

Thanks anyways

Vlad

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Lun Wing San wrote:

> Vladimir Stavitsky wrote:
> >
> > Hi, everybody;
> >
> > i came to Oracle from Sybase environment; in Sybase there is a
> > command you can run to monitor basic things about your server,
> > like number of active/all connections, basic resource utilization
> > etc; also there are some commands to monitor space used by the
> > objects.
> >
> > While those Sybase commands do not give you in-depth knowledge of
> > what's happening, they do provide some initial info so you at
> > least know the server is up & running, and even that you are
> > not close to some basic limits.
> >
> > What would be the relevant very basic level tools/commands in
> > Oracle? Please keep in mind that whatever you recommend we are
> > going to run from shell scripts, redirecting the output to files,
> > so any graphical front end perf monitoring packages are out of
> > question.
>
> Server Manager GUI.
>
> --
> Name : Lun Wing San
> Title : Oracle developer of the Hong Kong Productivity Council
> System Administrator and Oracle DBA of the Quick Response
> Center
> Email Addr. : sunny_at_hkpc.org
> Telephone : 852-2788-5841

                  he who hesitates is probably right