Re: Limiting Rows Returned in Query

From: Joe Nardone <nardone_at_patriot.net>
Date: 1996/11/11

frank greene (fgreene_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
: You were close. The statement should actually be something like
:
: select first_column, second_column, last_column
: from the_table
: where rownum <= 100
: ;
:
: That will return only the first 100 rows from table THE_TABLE. Variable
: rownum is a pseudocolumn described in the SQL*Plus manual.
:

Note however that this will not work (correctly) if you use any kind of ORDER BY clause; rownum is assigned before that sort, so you will not get the rows you expect.

To handle this case, you will need to write a PL/SQL block and do the query that way.

Joe

--

Joe Nardone <nardone_at_patriot.net>