Re: Meaning of an INSTANCE.

From: Paul Brewer <paulb_at_pbrewer.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/04

In article <01bbc8d9$0bb6ac00$4b7eaac2_at_msdusr>, Nabil Courdy <moab_at_emirates.net.ae> writes

>I am having trouble with the meaning of an instance. If
>I have a very busy production machine, does it make sense
>to have more than one instance? What I am trying to say is,
>for each database, say: payroll, manufacturing, and hr,
>do I have to have three instances, or somehow I create
>all three databases into one instance? Because, if I have
>to have three instances, that seems like a lot of processes
>running to service them.
>
>Thx.
OK. Here's the position as I understand it. An Oracle instance is a block of memory (the SGA) and a number of background processes (PMON, SMON, DBWR, LGWR etc.). The confusion arises because Oracle seems to equate an instance with a _physical_ database.
The short answer is (usually) to combine your three _logical_ databases under _one_ instance. The normal way to achieve this is to implement a _logical_ database as an Oracle _physical_ schema. Hope this helps.

Paul Brewer Received on Mon Nov 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message