pulling my hair out over record groups/parm lists

From: Dwayne K. King <dwayne_at_dwayne.FreeNet.Kiev.UA>
Date: 1996/11/01

Hi all,

I have been pulling my hair out over the following problem (which is fairly simple I think).

I have a list of numbers that I must pass to a second form to work with. I thought this sounded like an ideal use for a parameter list and record group. Due to someones wretched original design, this could eliminate a table in the DB if I can get it to work.

I create the list and group with no visible problems in the first form. However, the manuals stop just where I would expect a discussion of what to include in the called form.

When I try to find the parameter list with GET_PARAMETER_LIST in the second form, I get a NULL back. Is there anything I am missing here? I know that I have to declare the parameter list somehow in the second form, but how do you declare a parameter of record list type when the only available types are number, char and date?

Below is a clip of my code that is causing the problem (I think). This is in the WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger of the second, called, form.

DECLARE
  pl_id ParamList;
  pl_name VARCHAR2(15) := 'pl_tin';
BEGIN
  pl_id := Get_Parameter_List(pl_name);
  IF Id_Null(pl_id) THEN
    message('AHHHHHHHHH!');
  ELSE

    /* my code to process the information */   END IF;
END; Thanks in advance to everyone.

--
Dwayne K. King              | "Logic is an organized way
Computer Systems Advisor,   |  of going wrong with confidence."