Re: Null's vs Empty string

From: <suisum_at_freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/10/28

Hi all:

I also have problem to handle NULL string in Oracle. Is it a bug? When my program hits the NULL string, it skip the rest of program and go to the top and loop again.

Best regards,
Sui-sum

Dick van Oordt (dvoordt_at_pi.net) wrote:
: I'm just starting to use Oracle, so this question is just
: because of lack of knowledge and experience.

: We are converting/testing an application, written in CA/OpenRoad, to
: run against Oracle. Originally it's using OpenIngres.

: The OpenIngres database has many varchar columns defined with the
: 'NOT NULL' option. If the user leaves entry fields empty a SQL
: Insert (or Update) statement will be generated:
: INSERT INTO table (key, char_column)
: VALUES (1, '');

: This works fine with OpenIngres. However, Oracle seems to convert
: the empty string to a NULL value, resulting in an error on the
: Insert/Update.

: I always assumed null's have been introduced to make the distinction
: between 'unknown' and 'empty' (or zero), so I'm wondering if this is
: possible within Oracle ?
: Can I influence this '' to null conversion with some setting ?

: Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
Sui-sum

Sui-sum Fok                        email: suisum_at_freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
                                          suisum_at_compusmart.ab.ca