Re: Another question Regarding ROWID being Safe

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/10/28

Thomas J. Kyte wrote:

> The rowid does NOT change if a rows moves (migrated or chained). A rowid NEVER
> changes. It is assigned upon insert, it is given back upon delete. An update
> will never, never cause the rowid to change.
>
> Oracle basic replication (snapshots) count on this.
> Oracle Forms count on this.
> alter table add constraint ... exceptions into count on this.
>
> and so on.

OK, I understand that the ROWID is ALWAYS unique for each row until you do an export/import. Someone in an earlier post mentioned that Oracle announced that the use of ROWID will change in Oracle8. Anyone have more information on this, like a press release or technical bulletin to which we can refer? If this is true, should we be careful using ROWID now?

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian M. Biggs				mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.			voice: (513) 677-7661