Re: Changing Tablespace file location?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/10/27

Keir Evans wrote:

> I need to know how to move a tablespace file from one disk to another?
> As far I now you have to 1. Export the tablespace. 2. Read Tablespace
> storage parameters.
> 3. Drop the tablespace. 4 Re create the tablespace with the new disk
> location. 5. Import the data back in.
>
> Is there a better way?

Yup ...

  1. shut down the database,
  2. copy (move if you are totally sure of yourself & your disk space, and your OS) the file to the new location
  3. startup the database mounted but not open
  4. alter database rename datafile 'origianl full path' to 'new full path';

Very well descibed in chapter 7 of te Oracle Server Administrator's Guide - look for 'relocating' in the index.

/Hans Received on Sun Oct 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message