Re: Distributed oracle database across the fire wall

From: Richard Wark <rwark_at_txdirect.net>
Date: 1996/10/24

Subbu,

    I have just been running test and the answer to your question is "it depends". Firewall is a very generic term for a device which limits traffic flow (usually TCP/IP). If your "firewall" is doing filtering on ports (i.e. blocking of port 23 for TELNET service, blocking 20,21 for FTP services, etc.) then you must make sure you have a "hole" poked in the firewall to allow SQL*Net (usually 1525, or 1526). There are many other ways of securing you network which the term "firewall" applies to but are more like proxy servers, these are boxes like the CISCO PIX (Private Internet Exchange). This box makes all internal servers appear to the outside world as a single IP address. This requires a more in depth look at the security to functionality trade off...

Hope some of this helps,

Richard Wark

Subbu Turimella <turimella_at_netforce.com> wrote in article <3266DD48.6F0C_at_netforce.com>...